Braces are a big investment, making it very important to take care of them. During your treatment, you will learn what causes discomfort or can damage your braces by breaking off a bracket or bending the wires. In order to avoid running into one of these situations, we’ve put together a few instructions that should refresh your memory on what to do and not to do when caring for your braces.
Below are things to avoid while wearing braces:
- Avoid chewing on ice- biting down on ice can easily break off a bracket or a wire. It can be painful and require you to go to your orthodontist and have it fixed.
- Don’t eat with your rubber bands- It is important to remove your rubber bands before you eat. They can get dirty very quickly and break while you are chewing and eating.
- Stay away from sugary drinks- too much sugar and carbonation intake can damage not only your teeth but also the glue that keeps your braces adhered to your teeth.
- Don’t use your teeth as a tool- don’t use your teeth to open bottled drinks, rip open bags or to bend back a wire. Your teeth are not meant to be used as a tool, and doing so can break or damage them and your braces.
Below are things to do while wearing braces:
- Follow the instructions your orthodontist gave you. Rubber bands may feel uncomfortable to wear, but sticking to your treatment plan will pay off in the end.
- Call your doctor immediately if something breaks or bends. The sooner we can fix the issue, the less likely you are to get off course of your treatment plan.
- Tell your orthodontist if you are involved in contact sports or are very physical. Wearing a mouthguard while playing sports can help protect your mouth as well as your braces.
- Make it a routine to brush your teeth at least three times a day. It’s essential to keep your teeth and braces clean to prevent cavities and stained teeth.
Hopefully, these tips can help keep your teeth happy and healthy.