Braces and retainers easily pick up food particles and bacteria. That’s why it is important to know when and how to clean them. Here are some quick and easy tips to keep your braces and retainers clean and fresh.
Tips for clean retainers:
- If your retainer smells bad, is cloudy or tastes bad, then it is time to clean it off.
- Brush your retainer with lukewarm water after eating.
- When you remove your retainer, brush it right then. When the retainer is still wet, it makes it easier to clean off the bacteria.
- Use a cotton swab to get the bacteria that are hiding in the grooves of your retainer.
- Make sure that you only clean your retainer with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- To deep clean your retainer, create a paste of half baking soda, half water. Gently brush it on your retainer and rinse.
- Simply swishing water around in your mouth throughout the day can temporarily help keep your retainer clean.
Tips for clean braces:
- It can seem difficult to floss with braces. However, after brushing your teeth, it is very important to floss to get rid of any hiding food particles.
- Using mouthwash is a great way to keep your mouth clean when you have braces. It can help get rid of bacteria and food particles your braces are collecting.
- When you first get braces, your mouth might get inflamed or cut from the wire and brackets. Gargling salt water can help reduce any inflammation or soreness. Do this after you first get braces or when an adjustment is making your mouth sore.
- To keep your braces clean and prevent breaking off a bracket or loosening a wire, stay away from sticky foods, popcorn, candy, or really hard food.
These tips should help you in your smile transformation journey.